Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Utah!

Of my more years of life than I care to disclose, I have spent a scant 6 in Utah. And yet Utah has felt like home since the first moment I saw it. I was not a Mormon at that time so it's intriguing that I would feel that way. Seeing Mount Olympus once again looming on the horizon is heart warming and familiar --though it's been 25 years or more since I've lived there.

I took an opportunity to go there last month with Bruce and his mom when Uncle Bruce passed away. Uncle Bruce was a kind, friendly soul who always made us feel welcome and honored. There were so many relatives at the funeral -- I loved seeing them all again, and nice to know they remembered us. I was surprised, though I shouldn't have been, to see our nephew, Roger. Don't get to see enough of him or his family!

I feel a tad guilty, though, because I mostly wanted to go there to see Frank -- it's been some three years since I've had a chance to visit with my brother.







It surprised me how easily and quickly I slipped into being totally comfortable and downright silly in his presence. I am glad to have this brother!!


It was also good to meet his new wife at last. And it was good to see the love between them.




We took a hike in Rock Canyon -- lots of memories for me there, of taking our children when there were only two of them and they were bitty, and a hike through this overwhelming canyon amidst grand peaks and massive cliffs was a favorite Sunday activity. Turns out that Frank and Wendy had never been here, but I believe they intend to return again now that they've discovered it. I don't think about it often, but once in the mountains, I realize that I miss them too.






Frank was so good as to give me a ride to Bountiful after our visit. I had split from Mom and Bruce so they could visit people they knew and loved, and I could visit Frank. On the way, we stopped in Salt Lake, mostly because I wanted to go to a German delicatessen, and we found Seigfied's. There's no bread like German bread, no pastries like German pastries, and the Vienner Schnitzel we ate, oh, so good! I also miss German cooking, it turns out....


And, of course, no visit to Utah is complete without a visit with Aunt DeLona and Uncle Reid. Aunt DeLona has the talent and skill of making anyone feel totally welcome and loved, and that it is her greatest delight to have you visit! I imagine all ten of her children (and their spouses, and the grandchildren), all know they are completely loved. I know Mom is always glad to visit her sister. It is sad that the ocassion was the death of her brother, but wonderful to see so much kin!

2 comments:

Jewels said...

Do you mean, mt. Timpanogous? isn't Mt Olympus in Washington? Are there two? hee hee.

Gardener said...

I don't know about any Mt Olympus in Washington, but the distinctive double tip of Mount Olympus that I saw every day and climbed once is definitely in Utah, easily seen from the whole Salt Lake Valley.