Sunday, March 23, 2008

New York as "seen" by my stomach

Of all the things I expected or hoped to do in my life, there are two that stand out as never even having been on the list. One was to visit the Embassy of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, which I did last August when I was in Washington DC. The second was to visit the United Nations. Mitsuko, our first exchange student (from Japan) was much on my mind as our group toured this building, since it was her ambition to work there one day as her contribution to world peace. It is an amazing place. Although I have heard rumors of corruption and such, it is marvelous that we should have such a building in the world, a place where all 195 (presently recognized) nations can sit and at least attempt to build something lasting and good in the world through diplomacy and cooperation. Actually, the Vatican and two small island nations that are content to be represented by New Zealand, were the only 3 countries without seats in the General Assembly room. The Security Council room (pictured) is where the "big 5" (China, Russian federation, USA, UK, and France) permanent members sit, plus the 10 other nations that are elected for two year terms. The General Assembly room is where all the nations sit together. Besides military and political issues, humanitarian and health and environmental issues are considered and decisions made. It is a noble idea and I hope we can find a way to make it work despite the many many problems, viewpoints, priorities, and human weaknesses that get in the way. There was an art display from all over the world promoting world peace, two samples of which I have included. This first picture shows all the violence and hate bombarding a family from the TV, which I chose because of the powerful influence media has in world peace (and just about any other issue!) The second is a rather stark representaion of world history, but realistic at the same time. Most of the pictures were rather grim, but I think there are positive things going on in the world as well (and on this trip with 120 other people involved in the exchange student program, this particular effort was much on my mind), which we should also remember both as example and inspiration. Back in Rochester, in the Eastman mansion and museum, Albert and I had seen a display of pictures from conflicts from several hot spots in the world, predominantly the middle east, which highlighted the horror, the torment and the destruction of people, place, and soul that goes on in so many places, and I was glad that there was the idea of a United Nations, and the hope that this organization could make a difference.

What, you might wonder, has my stomach got to do with any of this?? Well, a not unreasonable, but nevertheless surprising (to me) secret in these buildings is that they have conference rooms, and even, a rather good cafeteria (or did we enjoy a catered meal?) And we ate there. The spaghetti and salad bar was very good, and I ate my fill. They were a little short on seating, so I either had to stand, or sit on the icy cold but wide window ledges--I did both depending on whether my feet were more tired, or my rump more cold. So it was that I didn't notice the waiters circulating with some more exotic delicacies for a while. But spinach puffs, tender lamb chops, and other mouth-watering treats passed by every 3-4 minutes, and once aware of them, I could not resist. It turns out that I had not actually eaten my fill after all. Both the memory of how good it tasted, and the increased need for looser clothes will be with me for quite a while. Just because we walked the 5-6 blocks there and back doesn't mean we walked it off!

The next wonderful meal was the next morning at the New York Botanical Gardens in the Bronx. I have learned to appreciate adequate seating, which we had here, and also to appreciate what a huge amount of work it must have been for the slaves that so wonderfully arranged all this for us. With so many people to feed, all our meals were served buffet style. Croissants, fruit, a variety of irresistable pastries, juices, the inevitable coffee and tea (alas, no hot chocolate!) everything was wonderful and again my stomach had reason to complain of overwork, but my tastebuds were delighted. The apples on the table were a perfect touch, however, as they were made of marble, and given as a momento of our trip, they did not get eaten. But what a food fight we could have had!!! After a number of workshops about the nuts and bolts of exchange student coordinating, and meeting representatives from several countries telling us what the kids from their countries are like and what adjustments they need to make, we had another scrumptious meal, various wraps, sandwiches, soup, salads, and then more workshops. The longer I work with exchange students, the more aware I become of how truly different other cultures are, even if these kids are first and foremost teenagers, and I become more and more amazed at how hard they work to accomodate our lifestyle while they live here. Culture, religion, family heritage, school structure, language, food, the nature of friendship, and more, all of it must be adjusted to and we aren't even aware of most of it. Not that we are complete aliens or anything, but still, it is amazing.
After the workshops, we visited the Orchid House, actually a series of some 8 greenhouses linked together, with innumerable orchids and other tropical plants, fountains, ponds, pathways, and seating for us to wander through and enjoy. Since the weather was still filling my (not watertight) shoes with a generous supply of water, the opportunity to enjoy tropical air, fragrance and beauty was very very much appreciated. Pictures can't (of course) do it any justice, but it refreshed both body and soul to see all the abundant, rich green and the splashes of living color everywhere we turned. But out we went, and waited for the subway, and prepared for dinner--at the Channel 4 Restaurant, somewhere on the other side of Times Square from our hotel. The restaurant seems to have underestimated their seating capacity since I found myself once again standing, but there is no denying the food was delicious, and standing or sitting, it was well worth the trouble. I'm surprised my stomach is still on speaking terms with me. We topped the evening off with the Broadway performance of Phantom of the opera which I mentioned in my earlier post, and deliciously tired, well fed, and full of beautiful music, we walked 20 minutes back to our hotel and crashed in our soft dry beds.

No comments: